Severe hair loss

My hair loss is from 3 yrs and it's chronic.I m in depression bcoz of ths.in 2014 July firstly der was itching on my back scalp den hair fall.dr prescribed me medicines and it was ok after 3 months.then again nxt year same thing happened and again I did the same.these 2 years hair fall ws mainly from middle to back scalp and very few hair loss from all over the scalp.this year the se thing happnd but the hair fall is really very severe.it is from front sides of the head and middle and back.I lost 200 strands 1 day.I actually counted.I went to another dr..He says it's diffuse hair loss.and prescribed hair 4 u serum and minoxidil androanagen.and medicines.I dnt have any medical problem.no thyroid no anaemia.I have pcos &deficiency in b12 and d vitamins.but dis I got to know few days before and my problem is from last 3 years.I dnt know what to do.I only want the consultation of senior trichologist.and it's very serious.I m losing my confidence because of this.half of my hair r gone.

Doctor Answers (1) on Severe hair loss

Thanks for the query. Hair fall treatment needs proper assessment to find the cause and to address it specifically. A trichoscan and trichogram are objective methods of assessment and is highy recommended, though it is difficult to find a clinic which offers that. Hair fall treatment consist of arresting the hair fall and subsequently adding density and improving the texture and quality. The treatment typically consists of topical lotion (Minoxidil) which is an essential component of therapy however small it may contribute. Other specific medications can be recommended based on the cause of hair loss. It also depends on the age of the patient and if planning for conception or not. Various issues need to be decided before initiating the treatment. The dosage and duration is decided by your dermatologist. You need to be patient with the treatment protocol as it takes months to see initial improvement. Certain dermatologists supplement biotin, hair serum and advice procedures like PRP therapy which may accelerate the rate of hair growth. PRP needs multiple sessions roughly at 6 weeks intervals. Hope it helps you. Please feel to let me know if any further queries are there.