Safe days for sex

I want to know which are the safe days days to have sex and avoid the chances of pregnancy.  I always use condom but want to enjoy it without condom. A local doctor suggested my wife that about 11-15 days from the start of periods it is safe.
But I want to be very much sure by some logical calculation. Please suggest.

Doctor Answers (1) on Safe days for sex

Thank you for your question. In young fertile women there is no such thing as a safe period. This is because sperm can survive for up to seven days in the genital tract and the egg can survive up to 48 hours. So you have a risky period for most of the cycle. Since you cannot predict ovulation till it has happened its not worth the risk if you are sure you do not want a pregnancy. If you do not want to use condoms your wife should use the contraceptive pill or intrauterine device.  You should only give up using a condom if you both only have sex with each other exclusively.
Best wishes