Periods and Pregnancy

I haven't got my period in 3 months. I have been suggested by the doctor to take a Regestrone 5 mg tablet in the morning and evening since Saturday evening so that I get my periods this month and he said if my periods do not become regular by next month we will have to look at other long term solutions. I had sex with my boyfriend on Saturday and he finished inside me. It has been more than 48 hours now. If I take the period tablet will I not get pregnant or do I need to take an iPill? Please help.

Doctor Answers (1) on Periods and Pregnancy

The Regesterone tablet will provide no contraception in this instance. As you have not had a period in three months, it is difficult to make out at which stage in you menstrual cycle you are. In the absence of regular periods, you probably are not ovulating, and chances of pregnancy are unlikely, but not nil. So it would be safer to take the postcoital pill within 72 hours of intercourse, and please remember to use contraception in the future.