Painful irritation in eye
I m having irritation in my left eye which is little painful too. I just woke up jn the morning and wen I rubbed my eyes I felt this pain. Even after washing with water few time, pain still remain. This pain is esp. when I move my pupil. Pain seems to be on the lid which also creates irritation in the eye and further makes it red. And I had realised this pain only aftr rubbing my eye in last 2 days. Kindly help me with this issue and provide solution to the same.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon 9 yrs exp Sangrur

Hello. I think you have allergic conjunctivitis. 1. Eye allergies, called allergic conjunctivitis, are a common condition that occurs when the eyes react to something that irritates them (called an allergen). 2. The eyes produce a substance called histamine to fight off the allergen. As a result, the eyelids and conjunctiva (the thin, filmy membrane that covers the inside of your eyelids) become red, swollen and itchy, with tearing and burning. The key to treating eye allergies is a. Avoid or limit contact with the substance causing the problem. B. Avoid rubbing eyes instead do cold compresses. C. Use antiallergic eyedrop like olopat eyedrop twice daily d. Lubricating eyedrop like flogel thrice daily e. Use mild steroid like flurisone in pulse dose in severe allergy this will help you I am very sorry dear to say that there is no medicine that can cure allergy. Only way is to stay away from all those things that you are allergic to. This is a provisional diagnosis. consult your ophthalmologist for detailed examination

Hi.... Over-the-counter eyedrops called artificial tears may relieve symptoms. Some eyedrops contain antihistamines or other medications that can be helpful for people with allergy.... If you have allergic conjunctivitis, your doctor may prescribe from among many different types of eyedrops for people with allergies..... Consult ophthalmologist.....