Pain in neck and shoulder
Dear doctor, I have On/Off pain in my left side neck and shoulder. For the past 1 year i have tried physiotherapy  from different  therapists but to no use. Please help.( note: the pain is bearable but dont want to take risks so in future i might not be a victim of spondylitis ) Thank you

Dr. Biswajit Dutta Baruah
Orthopedic Surgeon 13 yrs exp Chennai

Thanks for writing to me. Pain in the neck is usually coming from the cervical spine. It may not be spondylitis but cervical strain or a sprain. Usually comes on of you are working long hours at the desk with neck bent down. Need to stop working long hours at the computer. Take frequent breaks, especially every hour or so. Stretch your neck gently to relax the muscles. Use a small pillow to support your head while sleeping. A physio will be able to help you with exercises to improve the strength of the muscles. With support from strong muscles, type c spine will not develop spondylitis easily. If pain is unbearable, you may need medicines.