Overweight and fitness

I used to do a lot of gym, running, cycling and play sports like cricket and badminton. Lately, i have been very lazy and have stopped doing these activities that frequently and have gained a lot of weight. How to get back in shape and achieve fitness?

Doctor Answers (2) on Overweight and fitness

Ms. Bipasha Das Delhi | Dietitian/Nutritionist
Hi, good morning, let me tell you that thought of getting back to your old fitness, and you realized the reason of gaining weight is your laziness, has already made your pathway towards the success of getting back in shape. So, you need a Kickstart to do that. To reduce n getting back in shape is indeed a matter of little patience and taking few smart steps. Like if you combine exercise and diet that will give you a better result. So, start your day with a heavy breakfast, be a smart eater, and choose among good protein rich foods, less carbs, n moderate fats, milk products gives you a good combination of fats n protein. Include fruits in your small n frequent meals throughout the day. Lunch keep lighter n dinner will be lightest meal. Try to finish early dinner. Exercise to start with, combine walk n jog as an interval training for around 20 min as a starter. This will give you very good results in less time, and will have  a good long term effect. For further assistance you can get in touch with me or any other professional dietician to guide you more precisely.
Dr. Harsha Bangalore | General Physician
Hello there..ideal weight for your height is around 60 kgs. just excercises won't help you lose weight. First and foremost you must understand losing your weight is a very gradual process. You should have strong determination and patience if you want to lose weight. And it cannot happen suddenly. Losing too much suddenly is also not good for health. You have to follow a strict diet and exercise schedule. Regarding diet - have small multiple meals instead of 3 big meals, eat food rich in proteins and fibres like egg white boiled chicken vegetables fruits pulses, avoid carbohydrate rich foods like rice curds oily foods sweets ghee and other junk food. Regarding exercises - start slowly with brisk walking, then change over to jogging, running and other abdominal exercises. Never over strain yourself. And always keep yourself well hydrated and enjoy whatever you do. Also consult a dietician at any hospital who will be able to give you a proper chart regarding the same