Nasal congestion

Hi, my baby has severe nasal congestion and green mucus coming out of his nose and he has high fever too. He is feeling difficult to breathe and hence not sleeping properly and crying. Is there anything I can do to ease off his congestion sp he can breathe properly.?

Doctor Answers (2) on Nasal congestion

Hi. I would like to know few more details. How much is the fever, if you have maintained the record, do let me know. Is the green discharge only from one nostril or from both? Do u have any other bigger kids in house? Is there any history of baby inserting any object or foreign body in nose recently? Pls get back with answers.
Poornachandra Tejaswi S Bangalore | General Physician
Offer plenty of fluids. Liquids are important to avoid dehydration. Encourage your baby to take in his or her normal amount of fluids. Extra fluids aren't necessary. If you're breast-feeding your baby, keep it up. Breast milk offers extra protection from cold-causing germs. Thin the mucus. Your baby's doctor may recommend saline nose drops to loosen thick nasal mucus. Look for these over-the-counter drops in your local pharmacy. Suction your baby's nose. Keep your baby's nasal passages clear with a rubber-bulb syringe. Squeeze the bulb syringe to expel the air. Then insert the tip of the bulb about 1/4 to 1/2 inch (0.64 to 1.27 centimeters) into your baby's nostril, pointing toward the back and side of the nose. Release the bulb, holding it in place while it suctions the mucus from your baby's nose. Remove the syringe from your baby's nostril, and empty the contents onto a tissue by squeezing the bulb rapidly while holding the tip down. Repeat as often as needed for each nostril. Clean the bulb syringe with soap and water. Moisten the air. Running a humidifier in your baby's room can help improve runny nose and nasal congestion symptoms. Aim the mist away from your baby's crib to keep the bedding from becoming damp. To prevent mold growth, change the water daily and follow the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning the unit. It might also help to sit with your baby in a steamy bathroom for a few minutes before bedtime...with above Consult nearest pediatrician for examination and specific treatment Regards.