Nail Avulsion Queries

I was diagnosed with onychocryptosis in my left great toe. After treating with an antibiotic regimen, the pain has reduced a lot. However, the toe still hurts when pressed. The doctor has prescribed a partial nail avulsion. I have seen a relative get treated similarly. The band of nail that was removed doesn't grow out fully anymore and where it does, it is very brittle and falls off. It would be extremely kind of you if you could tell me how common such complications are. What are the risks if I leave the ingrown nail untreated? I am interested in cosmetically pleasing results. How can I ensure that the nail grows back if a partial nail avulsion is performed?

Dr. Manoj Agarwala

Thanks for the query. Painful nail is a difficult condition to live with. Partial nail avulsion will also include destruction of the matrix from which the nail arises. This is necessary to prevent recurrences. This is done in a precise manner and utmost care is taken to see that only that part of the matrix is removed which is leading to ingrown toe nail. However this is a blind procedure and is done based on assumptions and experience. Most of the patient have good outcome,
Meet a Dermatologist.
There are a couple of instruction s post nail avulsion and check with your dermatologist.