My fear of bp monitors
Dear doctor, I am a healthy male of 19 yrs old, but I have phobia of taking bp, when doctor measures my bp , I get afraid and bp spikes up to 140/80 or 140/85 and if measured after sometime , it becomes normal... does I have bp or not... what should I do to beat this phobia...

Dr. Vinaya Prabha (PhD)
Clinical Psychologist 22 yrs exp Bangalore
This is called the White coat Hypertension, caused by the presence of a doctor or by your being in a hospital where the BP measurements are being taken. You need to relax to counteract your fear. This can be done by taking 3 slow, deep breaths, by calming your mind through positive suggestions to yourself.