Movies & Porno addiction

Dr. I am in one of the renowned IIT and did good before coming here, but now a days I am feeling low and thinks that all my energy has been drained out. I think I am suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder, because my mind is stuck in porno and can't do anything , really anything. I am addicted to movies, and porno. I am spoiling my life not doing anything productive and live my life separated from my friends. I am facing hard time remembering things and has a constant pressure on my head of excelling in my field. I don't wanted to let go what I had achieved in past and my true self. Can any Dr. suggest me the way out of it.
views-icons 195 Views bookmarks-icon 1 Bookmark Bookmark this Answer

Ms. Hema Sampath
Clinical Psychologist 11 yrs exp Bangalore

Hi  definitely it  is disturbing  for you to undergo this symptom during to ur habits or addictions.
1.Do meet a Counsellor /Psychologist  for further detailed discussion. 2.I think of u can share your hostel with other boys maybe you will get controlled of this urge. 3. Talk to your friends generally spend time with them by not going to ur room
Dr. Sonia Malhotra
Psychiatrist 6 yrs exp Pune

Hello sir, I understand that you are engaged in a highly unfruitful exercise. But, it seems that you have gotten addicted to pornography. This issue has become quite common these days and is frequently seen in students of your age who are staying away from home. What you need to get rid of this addiction is: 1. Meet a psychiatrist to get it diagnosed that why you got addicted in the first place and has addiction caused you any other trouble? 2. Psychotherapy, i.e., Cognitive Behavior Therapy, will be the treatment of choice for you and medicines, if it is found that you have developed co-morbid depression or anxiety. 3. Meanwhile, to help yourself, try getting engaged in some other positive addictions like book reading, exercising, sports activities etc. It is best to replace a negative addiction with a positive one!
Ms. Snigdha Mishra
Counselling Psychologist 9 yrs exp Mumbai

So, this may be a case of addiction to pornography. Many times addictions may lead to negative evaluation of self and the act. Feelings of incompetence and worthlesness. Hopeleseness may creep in when one doesn't find a way out. It can limit ones social interactions and you may not want to do other things that may be if importance or pleasure.
Look for a Cognitive Behaviour Therapist, near you. A good trained psychotherapist.
Start by scheduling your day hour to hour. write what you will do each hour, either a night before or morning. Make sure that you set tasks that are pleasurable, important and necessary. It will enable to you do much more in a day. It may be challenging initially, sticking to schedule will help reduce over indulgence. It will also enable achievement in areas that may be more productive. It's graduall. Take each day, one at a time.
Dr. Akshata Bhat
Psychiatrist 5 yrs exp Mumbai

You are probably addicted to watching porn and using it as a substitute for real human contact. This can lead to depression, social isolation and social dysfunction. It will adversely affect  creating and maintaining fulfilling relationships.
The most important thing to do is to cut off from the internet and any other sources of porn. If you have difficulty in doing, consult a psychiatrist at the earliest. With the right medication and counseling you will be able to overcome this problem.
If you feel hopeless or suicidal, consult a psychiatrist immediately.