Molluscum contagiosum

My son have some small pimple type bump on his wrist and one on the thigh. I am a bit worried as the pimple bump are not disappearing till now. It is almost 6 months that the bump appeared first, and count around 7 to 8 mainly around his wrist and Can you help me out with this.

Doctor Answers (1) on Molluscum contagiosum

Dr. Hithysh BM Bangalore | General Physician
Hello Molluscum contagiosum usually gets better without treatment in six to 12 months. However, it's possible to continue developing bumps for up to five years. Once all of your bumps are gone, you're no longer contagious. Doctors may recommend that the lesions be removed before they disappear on their own, particularly in adults, because they are so contagious. Treatments for molluscum contagiosum can be painful, so an anesthetic might be administered beforehand to lessen discomfort. Sometimes a combination of treatments may be used. Medications In some cases, prescription or over-the-counter medications applied directly to the lesions may be helpful. Examples include: Irritating products. These preparations often contain ingredients such as salicylic acid or potassium hydroxide that help dissolve the lesion over time. Others may cause a blister to form under the bump, lifting it off your skin. Topical creams. Prescription creams and gels containing retinoids — such as tretinoin (Atralin, Retin-A, others), adapalene (Differin) and tazarotene (Avage, Tazorac) — have been used to treat molluscum contagiosum. These medications cannot be used during pregnancy. Surgical and other procedures The methods doctors use to remove molluscum contagiosum bumps include: Scraping Freezing (cryotherapy) Laser therapy Consult dermatologist for further evaluation and treatment.