Lwr back leg & foot pain
Am suffering from lwr back leg and foot pain..which prevents me from sound sleep Am feeding my 11month babe. Kindly suggest a solution and which category doctor to choose?
109 Views v

Answers (1)

Like the answers? Chat privately for 24 hours with the doctor of your choice

doctor profile image
Dr. Nitish Mandal
Spine and Pain Specialist 7 yrs exp Bangalore
Hi, I am Dr Nitish M.D. This problem is very common and lots of patients face the question of whom to consult. I want to write my opinion here which can be used for guidance. I must first disclose that I am a pain physician and hence my advice may not be totally impartial. If the pain is only few days old and getting better, just take rest and some pain killers. But you should consult a neurosurgeon if neuropathic symptoms like tingling/numbness/weakness appear in your legs. If it is only pain in back and not going down for 2 weeks or more, you can either see an orthopedician, neurosurgeon our pain physician. An orthopedician/neurosurgeon will either prescribe analgesics or suggest surgery. Most of the times analgesics and rest is sufficient, if it is only pain. Surgery becomes necessary of neurological symptoms are there. Another option is pain physician, he will also suggest analgesics and rest as first option. But if it is an older or severe pain, he will give a tightly targeted injection to the exact pain location. This will put the required dose at the exact point, which is much more efficient than tablets. Secondly, the medicine will stay at the injected part only and cause minimum side effects. This injection should be followed by core strengthening exercises to prevent future pain. Any of these treatments should also incorporate  physiotherapy also. To summarize, New, mild to moderate pain- pain killers and rest. Can consult any doctor. Old or severe pain- pain physician Pain with neurological symptoms-orthopedician/neurosurgeon
Flag this Answer
Flag this answer
1/1 people found this helpful
Was this answer helpful?