Lower back stifness

Dear doctor, I am 54, male, 66kgs, 167cm, slim dynamic healthy married man with 2 kids. Off late since 2 months I  experience a stiffness in lower back every morning when I wake up. After 45 min exercise I come to normal  and whole day I am fit and active. What should I do? Pls suggest

Doctor Answers (1) on Lower back stifness

Dr. Biswajit Dutta Baruah Chennai | Orthopedic Surgeon
Thanks for asking me to respond.

A stiff most back is most likely due to disc herniation. If you have associated pain, you will need medicines to reduce inflammation and counter the muscle spasms. I cannot prescribe meds Practo prohibits me from doing so. Once pain has reduced you will need to do core body stretching and strengthening exercises including the hamstring, quadriceps, gluteal muscles.

If pain continues to be severe or you develop numbness or weakness in the toes, you will need an MRI of the lower back to determine the severity of disc prolapse. For both meds and MRI you will have to visit an ortho surgeon.

Good luck!