diabetes-icon
Low weight since child
I am underweight since childhood my BMI is around 18.5 since last many years and I am diabetic since last 3 years plus 2 kidney stone in last couple years. I want to increase my weight but have food restrictions. Kindly guide me yo gain weight

Dr. A. Kavitha
Diabetologist 23 yrs exp Hyderabad
Hello,    According to your BMI you are a little bit underweight. So do not worry about your weight. For diabetes there are no particular food restrictions except sweets.Its the amount of food you consume and what. are the timings that you eat which matter for the control of diabetes.So to control your sugars eat breakfast,lunch and dinner with snacks in between like fibre containing fruits,vegetable salads,oats,cornflakes,murmura,poha,popcorn.Maintain 2 hours gap in between the meals and snacks. In addition to maintain sugars and your weight doing regular walking for atleast half an hour.   Do not eat junk foods,avoid fruit juices, & malt drinks . For renal stones drink atleast 2-2 1/2 lts.of water per day. This diet increases weight for lean persons,reduces weight for overweight persons and also lowers sugars,cholesterol and keeps the person fit n healthy.
Dr. Rashmi T V
Hi your BMI falls within normal limits... try maintaining fitness and diabetes under control... be on regular medication ..