Lasik for bodybuilder
Should LASIK surgery be opted or done for the one who is a powerlifter, bodybuilder or MMA fighter ? My friend is into hardcore powerlifting, bodybuilding and Mixed Martial Arts bouts. He is in good with these but face difficulties because of his vision. He is thinking of getting the LASIK done and after the basic checks and tests, he was informed that he is a good candidate for LASIK. But he is worried as being into contact sports & heavy lifting, he is worried about corneal flap healing or dislocation. He mentioned that he read it somewhere that if one is in contact sports he should not undergo LASIK surgery as it can dislocate the corneal flap as it never heals. Its like a lens attached to the eye. So how much of these statements are true? Should be move on with spectacles and forget about getting this surgery done? Prompt responses and honest replies would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon 9 yrs exp Sangrur

Hello 1. Your concerns are very genuine 2. All doctors have different opinion about this condition 3. In my opinion, I would not operate him as you know,flap never heals.... Chances of flap dislocation are there 4. Better option for him is ICL
Dr. A.K. Bhandari
Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon 26 yrs exp Ludhiana
for such professions PTK is best suited but few tests are needed before that.It doesn,t have drawbacks of flaps.