Lactation abscess

I got a breast infection on 13th Feb and was in acute pain on 13th and 14th. I went to see doc who wrote me cephaxime twice a day for 5 days. First ultrasound showed inflamation in one of the quadrant. The entire week passed by but nothing changed much. On Saturday, i got another scan done which showed pus in the same quadrant and breast abscess for which doc suggested FNAC. FNAC showed some pus in diffused manner. The abscess is around 2cm. Doc told me to get incision and drainage. She told me it will be a day long process, where a general anesthesia will be given for 2-3 hours and requires fasting from morning. I researched and found the abscess less 3cm can be done by antibiotics at first stage or needle aspiration and does not required incision which my doctor did not suggest. I took opinions from other doctors who gave me augmentin for another 5 days. Now the pain and size is reduced. I am nursing my 5 month baby. Could you please suggest what should i do ?

Doctor Answers (1) on Lactation abscess

Venkat Raghav Bangalore | General Physician
Hello, you said abcess is 2 cm ,that 1dimention ,other two dimensions?? As you said if its very small abcess antibiotics are given with aspiration of pus. But improper antibiotic treatment would lead to antibioma formation. If you cut open the wound ,pus can be drained easily so no collection of pus so faster healing. If you only relay on antibiotics you need to aspirate pus repeatedly. Bacteria may pass through breast milk. So you take dicision weighing advantages and disadvantages of surgery.