Inhaled Diesel Fumes
While travelling on a highway, our car vents were open and this led to an adjacent truck blow its diesel fumes right into our car. We immediately closed the vents, but now I am worried that the diesel fumes must still have been mixed with my car's ac as we drive for the next 3 hours. We all faced some coughing, but there are no major symptoms now. Can this one time exposure cause any major issue?

Dr. Pinaki Mazumder
Otologist/ Neurotologist 32 yrs exp Kolkata

One time exposure to diesel fume is not a major health issue, as there is a self defence mechanism in the respiratory system. If it is exposed to pollutants frequently and for a significant time period this system fails and gives rise to respiratory diseases. Take plenty of oral fluids and steam inhalation which will help the respiratory defence mechanism to take care of the inhaled pollutants.

Inhaling bleach fumes treatment