Herpes recurrences

Hi, I had oral herpes last month and it took 2-3 weeks for complete healing of lesions. Now I have them again on the upper lip after almost month later or more. This herpes happened me for the first time and this time it is second. I am concerned about such recurrences. Is it normal when herpes happens for the first time, and what should I do.

Doctor Answers (1) on Herpes recurrences

Thanks for the query. Recurrent herpetic infection is troublesome though it can be managed in a very effective way through suppressive prophylaxis that is long term intake of antivirals in a reduced dosage. 1-2 episodes are very common and if it is more frequent, antiviral prophylaxis can be considered. Medicine should start on day 1 of symptoms. There are different regimens to start and it depends on the treating Dermatologist and the patient choices. Have hopes and you will surely get of this in my personal opinion.