Heel pain - right foot
My right foot pains badly at the heel and due to this I am unable to walk normally.It pains a lot and cannot walk bare footed..I am able to walk a little comfortable with soft slippers.Due to this I am unable to continue my daily walking and exercises.If my foot is strained a lot it swells and pains more.Kindly suggest a good treatment to reduce the heel pain so that I can get into my regular exercises.

Dr. Biswajit Dutta Baruah
Orthopedist 13 yrs exp Chennai

Most likely you have plantar fascitis. Plantar fascia is a thick tissue on the bottom of your foot that's attached to the heel bone. When there is inflammation at the attachment of the plantar fascia to the bone, you get pain of this nature. You can try soaking type get in a bucket of warm water. Wear soft slippers at all times. If pain is severe you will have to visit the nearest doctor who can prescribe you anti inflammatory medicines. I am not able to prescribe meds as Practo prohibits me from doing so. Once pain reduces you need to do plantar fascia stretching exercises to prevent recurrence of the pain.