Heart burn

I frequently feel a burning sensation in my throat, sometimes till the mouth, after eating. I guess it's Gastroesophagael reflux disease (GERD). I read it recently in the paper about it. Seems like the gastric juices come up my throat. After eating to my fill, if I do some bending work, the juices come up my throat and the burning sensation starts, sometimes lasting for an hour. I've got a smoking habit and used to smoke a lot for the past 2 years. But, I've reduced it drastically in recent times and I'm on the verge of leaving it. I've read that smoking is also a cause for this problem. What other lifestyle changes should I do, like what to eat and what not to eat. Please suggest how to cure these effects. What should I do to confirm my diagnosis of this problem?

Doctor Answers (1) on Heart burn

Dr. Anil Kumar Jain Bangalore | General Physician
Hello there. I can understand your concern. You don't need to confirm it. It's dyspepsia and GERD. here are a few things you should do. 1. Have meals in smaller portions, like instead of three full meals, have 5 smaller meals. And let two of those five meals be of fruits and vegetables. 2. Avoid oily and spicy foods as much as possible. You can have once in a while though. 3. Drink lots of water through the day. Have a habit of drinking one glass milk before bed. 4. Avoid smoking and drinking, they irritate the gastric muscosa and increase acidity. 5. Don't sleep immediately after food. Let there be atleast a 2-3 hours gap. 6. Sleep with a slightly raised head. 7. Tab. Rantac-D twice a day half an hour before food for 3 days. Best regards. Dr. Anil Kumar Jain.