Hair Loss, skin, Itch

Although my mother has been shedding some hair all her life, things really got worse over last one and a half year. We tried to see a no. of doctors and clinics nationally and internationally but somehow none have been able to identify the problem for sure, let alone the cure. After consulting a list of doctors and researching on google it seems she has Alopecia, I am not sure. Can it be treated ? Kindly advice. This has taken a massive toll on her self confidence/esteem and she seems to be going into depression. Now and then she talks about how disgusted she feels when she looks into mirror. It's hard to see her like this.

Doctor Answers (1) on Hair Loss, skin, Itch

Himanshu Gupta Ghaziabad | Dermatologist
Any hair loss is termed as Alopecia, and it may have different causes. You have mentioned there is itching, but exactly where she feels itching. Difficult to say by pics only, but it seems to be Cicatricial Alopecia by what is visible from pic. In this condition, I am afraid hair already lost may not be regrown back, but treatment is given for preventing further hair loss. To improve her self confidence, she should be offered hair prosthesis (wig), to camouflage her hair loss that will boost her cosmetic appearance and self esteem.