Hair fall and dandruff

Hi! I am suffering from excessive hair loss since past 4 months and my hairline is reducing . My hair have become very weak and thin and dandruff has increased a lot leading to an all time itchy scalp. I am not suffering from any disorder nor am I under any kind of medication.

Doctor Answers (1) on Hair fall and dandruff

​Thanks for the query. Dandruff is the result of excessive oil application compounded by a fungal overgrowth. So consider discontinuation of oils and start using an antifungal shampoo everyday for first week and then reduce the application to twice a week for maintenance. You should keep the shampoo atleast for 5 minutes on the scalp for it to act. This should solve your problem. However if problem persists, consult a Dermatologist for proper diagnosis and treatment plans.​ FPB is an increasing problem in today's society. Hair care is a daily ritual shaped by age, gender and internal health. The treatment typically consist of topical lotion (Minoxidil ). Based on the cause of hair loss, certain specific medications can started. it also depends on the age of the patient and if planning for conception or not. Various issues need to be decided before initiating the treatment. The dosage and duration is decided by your dermatologist. You need to be patient with the treatment protocol as it takes months to see initial improvement. Certain dermatologists supplement biotin, hair serum and advice procedures like PRP therapy which may accelerate the rate of hair growth. PRP needs multiple sessions roughly at 6 weeks intervals. PRP therapy is increasingly being accepted by dermatologists all over the world. Apart from active pharmaceutical medicines, a healthy diet and lifestyle is mandatory to achieve results. Best wishes Dr MK Agarwala Hope it helps you.​​