Guillan- Barré Syndrome

Hello, Myself Gaurav, diagnosed with GBS on 19th of November,2015 followed by treatment of Immunoglobulin course of 5(inj)*5(days) for 2 times. It's about to get 8 months now , improvement is quite slow. My question is that the fingers of my hands are freezed on one position even after months of physical therapy. They just don't want to get straight. Is this thing common in GBS ? It quite worries me from time to time. Is there any remedy or finger exercise which I must follow ? Thank you !!
views-icons 76 Views 3 Shares Bookmark this Answer

Dr. Priyanka Bhati
Physiotherapist 16 yrs exp Faridabad

Dear friend I hope you are doing hand exercises from beginning itself. Are you able to walk? Or do all the activities of daily living by now? Just answer these questions please.
Dr. Nishant Singh
Consultant Physician 10 yrs exp Noida

GBS is a immunological disease with destruction of the myelin sheath by antibodies which cause weakness in power of limbs the improvement in most cases is very rapid after IViG, and few cases have rather slow improvement with residual loss of function in fingers or peripheral muscles, your fingers may become stiff so kindly do regular physiotherapy without fail dont over extend them as overextension also will cause reciprocal stiffness. check with good physiotherapist for smooth recovery.
get a EMG/NCV done and compare it with old reports to see the progression of improvement
if still the power is not good after 1 year than it may be a part of Chronic disease called as CIDP, i suggest to keep in touch with a good neurologist near you to look for the signs and symptoms.