Fungal Infection

Having fungal infection around groin since 5 months. Went to Dermatologist for it and I took treatment of Terbinafine oral tab. and cream as well . But after I stopped using it , infection started again and increased. Continuing it again since that time but it's not completely healing . It's costly as well . How long ?

Dr. Jolly Shah Kapadia
Dermatologist 17 yrs exp Mumbai

Go through my health feed on practo on fungal infection,.Ringworm What you should know. Avoid any cream that may contain steroid. Do not use antibiotics or antiseptic soaps. If anyone else in your family has infection then get their treatment done as well. Complete the course. and apply plain antifungal powder till summer is over.
Dr. Manoj Agarwala

Sometimes fungal infection is refractory to a single course of medications and due to reckless OTC preparation available and lack of government regulations the ordinary fungus have become drug resistant and increasingly becoming a problem for both doctors and patients. See your Dermatologist again and decide on how to get rid of your problem with his help. Is there a possibility of some other disease other than fungus ?
Dr. Pinanky Jadhav-Adhe
Dermatologist 10 yrs exp Mumbai
I concur with Dr Agarwala. The fungus has probably become resistant. Apart from what Dr said, I will only stress upon NOT to use any OTC drugs as most contain steroids. Side effects of such creams are permanent and will only add to increased cost of therapy later on. Please visit your dermatologist again for further treatment.