Fewer of being ill

Doctor, for the past year or so, I have been scared of being very ill. Any scratch scares me that I was bitten by an animal, anything near my eye makes me want to go to an optho. My family physician gets a call from me everyday regarding the stupidest of symptoms. Moreover, irrational fears have set it, like being hit by something when there is nothing even close to me. What can I do about it?

Doctor Answers (2) on Fewer of being ill

Dr. Sugandha Gupta Delhi | Psychiatrist
Hello, from your description it is apparent that you have a distinctive fear of contracting any illness, and you are well aware of these being irrational. You may be suffering from a mental health ailment called Hypochondriasis. However for an accurate diagnosis and subsequent management you should seek a consultation with a psychiatrist near you. A consultation and comprehensive assessment is likely to help understand your symptoms in a better manner. Kindly do not hesitate to meet a competent mental health professional, it will be helpful for you..

Hope this helps you..

Ms. SnehaJanaki Ramesh Mumbai | Counselling Psychologist
Hello. It seems that you've been caught by the 'worry bug'. It is only normal to feel scared of falling very ill as we fear the implications of the same. However, I can see that you are also extremely insightful regarding your behaviour. Going to a counselling psychologist will help you explore the reason/trigger for this worry, its impact and come up with health-promoting strategies to function more effectively. In the meanwhile, you could also try some relaxation exercises like deep breathing to notice the control we can have on our mind and body.