Fear of HIV

I had a sexual intercourse with a girl on 7th August this month. We had oral sex which was the only thing that was unprotected. On 19th August afternoon I suddenly started feeling very weak. The next day i had fever(between 100 to 101.5 F) ,soar throat and body ache. On visiting the Doc he gave me an antibiotic,paracetamol & allergy tablets. I was informed by him that this flu is prevalent in the city presently and I will have fever for the next 3 days. That is exactly what is happening. I had body ache, pain behind the eyes and headache only in the first day. 2nd day it was weakness and fever and 3rd day I have severe cough along with fever that is coming and going. What worries me is that one gets the same symptoms within 2 weeks or so when you are infected with HIV. Additionally the girl whom I had intercourse with has had many other partners before too. Can you please guide me. Is this just a matter of coincidence that I am showing such symptoms.

Doctor Answers (1) on Fear of HIV

Dr. Harsha Bangalore | General Physician
Hello there...I can understand your concern. From your description it looks like you could be just suffering from flu. But you can go for an Elisa hiv test now if you are so worried about hiv. Hiv virus has a long incubation period. It won't actually so fast. But having unprotected oral sex is also not safe. To alleviate your fears you can go for a hiv 1 and 2 test now and repeat after the 6 weeks.