Fear of death

I generally fear to go to places where there is no medical facility. I feel that I might have some health issue at night and that gives me sleepless night if I go to such places. I was a heavy smoker and drinker but I left these habits for the last 18 months. Initially I had panic attacks but now I am a bit stable but I feel excessive fear sometimes for issues which are not important or for some things which might happen in future. Moreover I stay in constant fear that my health will deteriorate slowly and I might not live. The fear of death is not letting me to live life. I had a health check last year and everything was normal. The high BP was diagnosed as hereditary. I avoid meat and walk for 30 mins daily. In a way I am leading a healthy life now but the fear of death is killing me. So please help me to lead a carefree life as I had before I had high BP. Any medication or yoga which I am ready to perform. Please help
views-icons 135 Views bookmarks-icon 1 Bookmark Bookmark this Answer

Doctor Answers (1) on Fear of death

Dr. Diwakar Sharma Delhi | Psychiatrist
Hi there, The description of ur problems points towards anxiety n stress related problems. Panic disorder and phobias are a manifestation of the same. Our mind thinks a lot about about the feelings /emotions we have and accordingly influences our behaviour. Your belief of having a grave health outcome is the result of the fear/anxiety of having another highly uncomfortable panic like symptom. Besides this there may b other contributory factors to this problem which will require deeper exploration and evaluation. The good news is dat it is treatable with medications and behavioural therapy. So u just need to enable urself in achieving the peace of mind u have always cherished earlier...by seeing a mental health professional whom u deem fit for the job. Hope this helps u but feel free to consult further. Take care