liver-icon

Fatty liver

I am getting pain in my abdomen. I consulted the doctor he told there fat in the liver. So he ask me to take 18 garlic piece 3-4 days gap. After having that my pain got reduced but I felt I have mild jaundice now. What can I do next ?

Doctor Answers (3) on Fatty liver

Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
Hi there... It's normal to have some amount of fat in case liver when it exceeds 5 to 10 percent of your liver weight then it is referred as fatty liver... It can be alcoholic fatty liver,obesity,hyperlipidemia, or high levels of fats in the blood,diabetes,genetic inheritance,rapid weight loss,side effect of certain medications, including aspirin, steroids, tamoxifen, and tetracycline....so you need to have clinical examination and evaluation to find the cause as treatment is mainly reducing risk factors as there is no specific medication for fatty liver... If you are alcoholic quit as soon as possible, obese try to reduce weight, if diabetic keep your glucose levels under control... Do regular exercise,yoga, pranayama, meditation etc...Consult physician they will guide you further.
Vimal Kumar Chennai | General Physician
Dear friend, for jaundice you will have to consult a physician for some blood tests. Also pls have a look at my answer for another question about fatty liver in practo consult for detailed ways to avoid it and reduce it. Hope this helps. Regards.
Dr. Vinod Veerapalli Bangalore | General Physician
If you have a doubt, please get a liver function test and urine routine exam and consult your family doctor. Fatty liver is a very common finding on Ultrasound and should not be worried about unless there is ongoing alcohol usage.