Family planning advice

I just got married last month.  My husband and me are planning for family planning. Is the IUD insertion better or the conventional everyday oral contraceptives?  Please advice on this.  Looking forward to your advice.

Doctor Answers (1) on Family planning advice

Thank you for your question.
Your choice of contraception depends on several things. How long do you wish to delay a pregnancy? what are your current periods like - are they heavy or painful or irregular? what is your general health like ? what is your weight and BP and is there any history in the family of strokes before the age of 45yrs. 
If you ate good at remembering to take tablets or you have a smart phone to help you the combined oral contraceptive pill is safe, flexible and very effective at preventing an unwanted pregnancy. It also helps you have regular bleeds, prevents excessive bleeding or pain and in the long term is protective against endometrial, ovarian and bowel cancer. It is associated with z very small risk of increased clotting of blood in the veins and if taken long term of breast cancer in very few women too. Your doctor can help you decide which one is best as there are several to choose from.
The intrauterine device is also excellent as is the Mirena intrauterine system (if you have heavy or painful periods). Generally women prefer it when they want to delay pregnancy for a longer duration or to space their children.
You can study more on or www.patient.
hope this helps