Drug induced Psychosis
My brother has been living alone in Paris for last 2 years and didn't have any close friends. He always had performance pressure as a lot of money was spent on his education and wasn't performing too good which later turned into depression. He himself admit that he had suicidal tendencies at sometime. He started cannabis misuse to come out of his depression, which probably helped him come out of depression. About a month back he told us that our dead grandfather spirit comes and talk to him listening to which we immediately called him back to India. His symptoms worsen with time and last week we realized that he needs medical help urgently. Me and my dad went to a Dr. to understand his situation as he was and still is too reluctant to come with us. Dr. diagnosed him with Psychosis and we could relate all the symptoms with his present condition. It has been a week that we've been giving him the prescribed medicines but we still don't see any significant improvement. What should be done?
90 Views v

Answers (1)

Like the answers? Chat privately with the doctor of your choice

doctor profile image
Dr. D. S. Poonia
Psychiatrist 5 yrs exp Jaipur

Free 3 day follow up

Chat Now

₹1000 for 24 hrs

Hi, hearing of voices is one symptoms of psychosis as well as many other condition. Since there is history of cannabis use it might be as cannabis induced psychotic disorder or it may be just incidental and may be independent one. Anyhow there are symptoms and need to be treated. So get evaluated in detail from psychiatrist and after reaching to diagnosis most of the question will be answered. There is many possibility of evaluation that need to be addressed like its all secondary to depression or cannabis use or independent on. About your other concern of improving in symptoms if medicine are prescribed accordingly then there will be gradual improvement in symptoms starting from second day to lasting for months. Generally psychiatric medicine would take time to show effectiveness. So keep in touch with your treating dotor and do accordingly.
Flag this Answer
Flag this answer
Let others know if this answer was helpful
Was this answer helpful?

This question featured in :

Drug induced psychosis
Disclaimer : The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding your medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.