Child abuse
How do I know my child has gone through an physical abuse? How do I tell her who not to touch? We speak Tamil @ home. Am a mother of 3yr old girl,it is really a worst situation for a mother like me to ask such qtns. my girl has not yet started talking for just some 1or2 small words,she goes to play schl nearby. I'm mostly aware of child physical abuse.. but am hopeless in educating my 3yr girl,while she is away. Even though the school seem 100% safe,the society isn't safe for even a 3yr old. She is very active,dances to music,very intelligent,except she cant talk in sentences..am not very concernd about her late talk I know she will talk later or sooner.. pls help.. thank you.

As I can understand from your question, there seems to be no specific reason other than you being cautious about the possibility of abuse. Good, any responsible mother should be alert under all circumstances. But at the same time, please relax. Do not be so perturbed as to keep worrying about the subject. It could affect your well being. Yes you need to educate your child about abuse. But you have to be cautious in doing it gently and subtly; otherwise your child might grow up to be a suspicious person in life. You can give her specific examples such as: 1. Tell her not to go and sit on any man's lap even if he appears to be well meaning 2. Tell her not to allow anybody to touch her body parts like her genitals or her underclothes 3. Tell her not to accept chocolates and sweets from anybody other than your immediate family or known close friends. 4. Tell her that if any adult kisses her repeatedly or on the mouth she should avoid him 5. Tell her that you are always there to listen to her problems and that she should share her daily experiences with you... good or bad. Regarding physical and behavioral signs of abuse, please be alert to the following: a. The abused child may suddenly withdraw and become self occupied, not interacting with others. May look depressed b. The child may resist undressing before being bathed c. The child becomes over alert and suspicious of adults d. Child may be playing sexual games with toys such as undressing the toys and placing them in the act of sexual contact e. Awkward gait of the child may suggest she has developed urinary tract infection as a result of abuse. f. The child's knowledge about sex and the genitalia is beyond what her age group peers know.
Please encourage your child to narrate to you all the daily incidents in school or when she is away from you, in a sequential order. You also tell her about your day activities so it should be like a game between you two. The child might find it entertaining and keep telling you everything. If there is any discrepancy or hesitation on her part, then you may investigate further; but otherwise please relax.
Encourage your child to learn marital arts like karate, judo, kalaripayattu or kungfu. Consider training your child in yoga and classical music or dance; all these activities will make her mentally stable and stronger to deal with life's situations in future.

Causes and effects of child abuse