Can we grow tall?

I'm 23 years old now and I'm just 5'2. I want to grow few more inches of height. Is it possible to do so? I've been doing some research and found that any person can add 3 inches of height by making backbone expand with proper exercises? Is it true? I don't want to try any surgeries.

Doctor Answers (1) on Can we grow tall?

Dr. Biswajit Dutta Baruah Chennai | Orthopedic Surgeon
Thanks for asking me to respond.

Your height is determined by your genes, which means it depends on how tall your parents are. Exercises can help build strength in the muscles and bones but will not add much in terms of height. Especially in boys who have achieved skeletal maturity. As you are over the age of 17, your bones have stopped growing and so there isn't any scientific proven way of making you grow any further.

Please beware of tall claims made by various people. On the other hand I would encourage you to start focusing on other aspects of yourself and your life. Some of the most successful people in life have been short. Best examples I can think of are Sachin Tendulkar and Sunil Gavaskar, two of my favorite cricketers.

Enjoy life without any worries.