Breastmilk expression

I delivered 4 months back..want to know which is better for expresssing breastmilk...manual expression with hand or through breastpump..kindly tell the pros and cons of both.. Which method of bm expression helps in increasing milk supply?

Doctor Answers (2) on Breastmilk expression

Dr. Rita Bakshi Delhi | Gynecologist/Obstetrician
Hello, You can perform milk expressions manually, manually through breast pumps or through electronic breast pumps. I would prefer doing it manually since it is a natural method and low cost. It also helps release the leftover milk out from the ducts post nursing. While, using a breast pump is an effective method and has lesser chances of breast engorgement. An electronic best pump will helpful for working women while lactating. It will help store breast milk for later along with minimal effort.
Dear Ma'am,

There are many ways of performing breast milk expression.
1. Manual
2. Using manual breast pump
3. Using electronic breast pump.

I need to know the reason for which you are using breast milk expression, because that would help choose between the different modalities.

1. Manual: Inexpensive,  natural method. Can help expel residual milk out of the ducts after a feed.  However, it is effort consuming and may not be as efficient. High chances of breast engorgement and repeated expression.

2. Manual breast pump: More efficient than hand alone, less chances of breast engorgement, but effort has to be used by individual. 

3. Electric Breast pump: Is ideal for women who are working during lactation, who want to store milk for later use and ensure complete evacuation with minimal effort. sterility maintained.
Disadvantages: Increase in cost of machine. Soreness of nipples after excessive use.

The use of any method would be decided by your preffered indication for breast milk expression.