Behaviour related.

I have been having this issue since last one year. Not sure if this is depression as I dont see any particular reason to be depressed. I feel like cutting boff myself from the outer world. This has happened a few times. Out of nowhere I will just getup and wont feel like going to office. Will give some execuse in office. Will switch off my phonr so nobody can contact me. Will just sit all day in room either sleeping or watching tv. Would even skip meals. This continues generally for 5-7 days. First time I did this..I confined myself for about 2months. Am I just being lazy or do I need counselling ?

Doctor Answers (1) on Behaviour related.

Ms. Sneha Bhat Bangalore | Counselling Psychologist
Hey, Everything that you do needs a motivation behind it. You could be motivated by different aspects based on your exact situation in life. Meeting basic needs like food housing and all is the biggest motivation, which if already taken care to a certain extent need not remain primary motivator any more. Again gaining attention and appreciation at work or surroundings could be another motivation which would be less or missing in an environment where one is taken for granted or usually criticized. If you have people staying with you, to whom you are answerable like your parents, friends, husband, children or so, you might be motivated to work, even if work isn't really satisfying. If you happen to enjoy the work you do, then work itself will be the motivator irrespective of presence of other motivators around you and you prefer working over TV or sleeping. In short if there isn't much you would miss by being locked in the room, you might do so as well. However switch need not interest you for whole day either, leading to naps & reduced hunger. This is a general scenario and one possible explanation for your current behaviour. Counselling would help you to understand your motivation pattern along with what you want from life better and help you to create a life that you like better. Take Care