Baby not breastfeeding

I had a preterm baby girl of 32 weeks who was in NICU for 5 weeks. During her time in NICU she was fed my expressed breast milk with a specialized spoon. I was asked to try breast feed but she was too weak to suck. After sometime she started to suck a little. But since she wasn't putting on much weight doctor prescribed feeding her with expressed breast milk in a feeding bottle. Now she refuses my nipple and even if she tries sucking she isn't able to latch. How can I make her breastfeed? Please help.
views-icons 80 Views bookmarks-icon 1 Bookmark Bookmark this Answer

Hello, I understand your feeling and your concern towards your baby girls. I congratulate you for being a mother. Since you have asked a way to make your baby feed. But there isnt any way that we cam.make her feed because she has to do it at her own will. To make her feed she is still small to do so. Just keep tryingvwothbthe expressed milk and with the alternate breastfeed and in the process she.may get habituated with breast feeding. Thank you
Dr. Swati Dwivedi
Pediatrician 4 yrs exp Agra
This is known as 'Nipple Confusion'. It happens when baby is bottle fed for long time...Stop stressing about it..Rather just try..with time she might start accepting breast fed directly ... Otherwise expressed fed is no issue.