Aeroplane Ear

I had travelled on 5th of this month. Since then there has been a sensation of air bubble traped in my left ear. I can feel the pressure changes and because of that I think my hearing ability is also effected. I had gone through various test regarding ear drums and they are all normal. Please suggest its remedies and its criticality. Thanks in advance! Best Regards, Sunil

Doctor Answers (3) on Aeroplane Ear

Dr. Gladson Guddappa Uchil Bangalore | Otologist/ Neurotologist
purchase a good pair of silicone earplugs and use it whenever you travel again by air. Wear it when you board the plane and do not remove it till the plane doors open again after the flight has landed. Have plenty of HOT water and regular steam inhalation to help you heal the eustachian tube blocks.
use this app to search for a good ENT Specialist in your neighbourhood and fix up an instant appointment
Dr. Parveen Chawla Faridabad | Ear-Nose-Throat (ENT) Specialist
this has happened due to excess of valsalva maneuvre ,so avoid starining your ears ,just start chewing the gum oo chew your food slowly and with the count , this will regress the pain in the ears , and go to ear consultant for the medicines as you need to take the prescription this will help you to avoid the complications of the pressure
avoid water entry into ear and avoid ear cleaning ,and avoid nose blowing
Dr. Vinay S Bhat Bangalore | ENT/ Otolaryngologist
High altitude pressure changes can cause significant change in Normal hearing apparatus. In case of flight travel it causes eustachian tube block and might even cause collection of fluid in middle ear. Usually this condition is resolves spontaneously within couple of weeks. If not consult nearby ENT specialist for confirmation of diagnosis and appropriate treatment. Meanwhile you can do valsalva maneuver for faster recovery