Acne vulgaris and spots

Doctor, I have been freaked out with the acne and dark spots on my face since 9th grade. I'm 20 years old now. Many treatment and ointments did not work. Intensity of acne vulgaris on my face is so intense that it feels rough and rugged. Is it because of improper diet or anything else? What I need to do for the cause?

Doctor Answers (1) on Acne vulgaris and spots

Skin care needs to be customized based on the presenting complaints. There are different ways to achieve a flawless skin after acne and it needs medical interventions and commitment on part of the patient. ​​Acne treatment has multiple stages - to control new breakouts, to clear the sequelae (pigmentation and scars) and to prevent a relapse. An attempt to find out the root cause of acne should be made in every patient or else it keeps recurring. Each phase takes a couple of weeks before we move to the next phase of treatment. If you have active acne lesions, it should be controlled on priority basis. Acne scar and pores can be treated with subcisions, dermaroller, fractional CO2 lasers, chemical peels and likewise. Remember combining treatment modalities help to achieve desired results earlier. Your dermatologist will decide a treatment plan for you after a consultation. Apart from active pharmaceutical medicines, a healthy diet and lifestyle is mandatory to achieve results.
A cause of acne has to be established to treat it effectively.