1. Can exposing myself to sunlight help in treating osteomalacia?
Yes, exposing yourself to sunlight can help in treating osteomalacia as it helps in synthesis of vitamin D in the body. The cause of osteomalacia is deficiency of Vitamin D and thus exposure to sunlight helps in treatment of the disease.
2. What foods can help me manage the symptoms of osteomalacia?
Following foods can help you manage the symptoms of osteomalacia
- Fish, egg yolk
- Vitamin D fortified foods like cereals, bread, milk
- Cheese, orange juice
3. What lifestyle changes are useful in treating osteomalacia?
Lifestyle changes are useful in treating osteomalacia. These are
- Taking a healthy diet with foods rich in vitamin D
- Adequate sun exposure
- Exercise, stress reduction
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
4. What are the common medicines used for treating osteomalacia?
The common medicines used for treating osteomalacia are vitamin D and calcium supplements. These include ergocalciferol, calciferol, calcidol, calcium lactate and calcium phosphate. Symptomatic treatment is also given
5. Can the treatment for osteomalacia lead to any side effects?
Yes, the treatment for osteomalacia can lead to side effects like
- nausea, vomiting
- allergic reaction
- constipation, confusion
- muscle weakness
- headache, drowsiness
- dry mouth, irregular heart beat