1. Why is immunization needed?
Immunization is needed to prevent infectious diseases. It helps in eliminating the disease from the community. It not only protects you, but also vulnerable people in the community and thus, it saves lives.
2. Do adults need immunization?
Yes, adults need immunization as childhood vaccinations can wear off and there is risk of new and different diseases. There can be change in vaccine recommendations and invention of new vaccines. Hence, adults need immunization. Also, diseases that affect adults are different from those that affect children, necessitating immunization in adults.
3. Is immunization available for cancer?
Immunization is available for those cancers which are caused by certain viruses. Vaccines are available against human papilloma virus which causes cervical cancer and against hepatitis B virus which causes liver cancer. Many cancer vaccines are in clinical developmental stage.
4. Is immunization a painful procedure?
Some vaccines can be painful like HPV vaccine, Hepatitis A and B vaccine, DTP vaccine. However, pain is mild and temporary at the site of injection.
5. What are the side effects of immunization?
Side effects of immunization are
- fever with chills
- localised pain, redness, swelling
- joint ache
- allergic reaction, anaphylaxis
- rare side effects include intussusception
- neurological side effects