Fed up of endless wait?
Look for clinic with Prime
Dr. Vidyashankar

Dr. Vidyashankar

Claim this profile

MBBS, MS - Orthopaedics



30 Years Experience Overall  (30 years as specialist)

Medical Registration Verified

Dr. Vidyashankar is a Consultant Orthopaedist at Dr. Malathi Manipal Hospital, Bangalore. He is an expert in Arthroscopy, Joint Replacement Surgery, and Trauma Surgery. The doctor completed MBBS from Gandhi Medical College (Hyderabad) in 1986, Diploma in Orthopaedics from Kasturba Medical College (Manipal) in 1989, and MS (Orthopaedics) from Kasturba Medical College (Manipal) in 1990. Being a meticulous and accountable doctor, he continues to treat his patients with exceptional care to achieve success and patient contentment.

Jayanagar 9 Block, Bangalore

Malathi Manipal Hospital


45/1, 45th Cross, Marenahalli Road, Phase II, Landmark: Next To Big Bazar & Opposite To Bangalore Central, Bangalore

Get Directions

+ 2

Tue, Fri

06:00 - 08:00

Max. 30 mins wait + Verified details

Common questions & answers

Q: Who is an Orthopaedist?

A: An orthopaedist is a medical doctor who specializes in diagnosis and treatment of disorders related to the skeletal system. An orthopaedic doctor attends to any disorder or condition or injury pertaining to the bones, muscles, joints, and ligaments associated with the skeletal system. These medical professionals treat conditions like arthritis, back pain, sports injuries, and leg and foot pain

Q: What is the difference between an Orthopaedist and an Orthopaedic surgeon?

A: Orthopaedists are sometimes mistakenly referred to as orthopaedic surgeons. An orthopaedist deals with conditions related to the musculoskeletal system. He provides pre-surgical consultation and post-surgical follow up. An orthopaedic surgeon provides same care as orthopaedist, but performs surgery as well. He performs surgery to cure back pain, ruptured discs, bone tumours, carpal tunnel, arthritis and other injuries.

Q: Does an Orthopaedist treat foot and ankle related problems?

A: Yes, an orthopaedist deals with musculoskeletal problems within the body. Problems related to foot and ankle fall under this category. Common foot problems like bunions, ankle sprains, arthritis, and sports injury are treated by an orthopaedist. Diagnosis of foot and ankle related problems are done through imaging tests. The mode of treatment depends on the severity of the problem.

Q: Does one need a doctor referral to see an Orthopaedist?

A: One can consult an orthopaedist by booking an appointment. Consultation with the orthopaedist is conducted in his/her clinic or at a healthcare centre. In some cases, patients go to a general physician for any condition or disorder related to the musculoskeletal system. Once preliminary investigation is done, the general physician may refer the patient to an orthopaedist for further examination.

Q: Does an Orthopaedist treat sport injuries?

A: Sport injuries are mostly related to the musculoskeletal system. Injuries like ligament tear, sprains, fractures, muscle pull, or bruises are commonly encountered in sports. An orthopaedist is the right medical doctor to consult for sport injuries. After physical examination, the orthopaedist may ask for imaging tests for confirming the extent of damage and then treat accordingly.



MBBS - Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad, 1986
MS - Orthopaedics - Kasturba Medical College, 1990


Medical Council of India (MCI)
Karnataka Medical Council


Consultant at Manipal Hospitals


11787 Hyderabad Medical Council, 1987
Report an Error